Using OOo/LibreOffice sources with DTP applications

While migrating some forum topics from an older, mostly dormant phpBB3 forum into my newer forum site, I created a thread today, describing a project I am undertaking that employs OOo or LibreOffice subdocument source files along with Adobe FrameMaker and Acrobat Professional. In case anybody might want to use OOo/LibreOffice in such a manner, check out that forum topic: http://technicaleditor.livernoisyard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31.

In a nutshell, the project updates published OOo ODFAuthors 3.3 ODT files, ports the "final" edited source files into Adobe FrameMaker via the ODT subdocument files that were first converted into DOC files. FrameMaker then reconfigures the book's layout to the desired page format and takes advantage of better typesetting algorithms that DTP apps use, but that fancy word processors like Word or OOo/LibO do not. Also, FrameMaker can do external cross references (xrefs) very reliably, has a dependable master-document (a book, in FrameMakerese...) capability, plus having real run-in subheads--three areas that OOo/LibO, plus Word, do not do well, if at all.

FrameMaker can port (distill in FrameMaker talk) a PostScript (PS) file with the Adobe PDF printer file to use with Acrobe Acrobat Professional for generating the actual PDF, along with bookmarks and numerous specialized output options. Acrobat can then enable the resulting PDF file for anybody using the ubiquitous Adobe Reader application to do markup and comments directly on the PDF--to send back to the prepress editors.

In case anybody might want to do something like this in their organization, e.g., using OOo/LibO for the easier, less-specialized authoring and copyediting tasks and employ real DTP for the higher functions, ask away if you have any questions--either via the email messages or via my forum, or both. I have done these for some time now and never seem to have any real problems migrating the ODT/DOC files into FrameMaker.

Gary
<http://technicaleditor.livernoisyard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31>