Barbara D: Writer Guide Master Doc chapter

Barbara, in your review of the Writer Guide chapter on master documents, in
the section on splitting a document into master and subdocs, youleft a note
to say that you did not see the "separated by:" list on the Name and Path of
Master Document dialog box; all you saw was "template".

I have now tested the instructions in that section on Windows XP, Windows 7,
Mac OS X, and Ubuntu 10.10. On Windows (XP and 7) and Mac, the dialog box
shows a "separated by:" list, as described; however, on Ubuntu the list was
called "Styles". I'm trying to work out what you could have done to give a
different result. Perhaps you'd like to try it again?

Hal

Actually, if you have selected "Use LibreOffice Open/Save dialogs" in
the Options, you'll see "separated by:" in Name and Path of Master
Document dialog on Ubuntu, too.

--Jean

Oh. Er, yes. Silly me. Thanks! That also explains why some other dialogs
looked different from what I was expecting. And it's a good reminder to all
of us to check/tick/select/enable/whatever that option.

Hal

Sorry, this one got lost in the flood of mail. It didn't occur to me that this option was involved, I've fixed it now. I don't know if all the dialog differences I saw were from this, but I don't think all of them were in any way related to load/save actions.

BTW, since this may be a fairly common issue for people, there probably should be a Note in the text anywhere that option is required, right?

That option appears to affect many dialogs that are not apparently related
to load/save actions (though they might be, from a behind-the-scenes
programming POV.

However, in this case it only affected the appearance of the dialog, not the
wording of the fields and drop-down lists (except on Linux), so you should
have seen "separated by" regardless.

Hal

That option is not required for functionality. It only affects the
appearance of various dialogs, and occasionally the field names, which can
be (usually trivially) different -- not what fields are provided.

Perhaps we need to put a note at the beginning of each chapter to remind
people that the books use the LibO dialogs and the Galaxy font set, because
otherwise what you see depends on your operating system and we can't
possible cover all of them.

Hal

Maybe "should have" -- but didn't. I've repeated the process with the option set, and it worked; without the option, no separate files were created at all (unless they went to some temporary location different from where I sent the master doc, which was to the Desktop for easy temporary access). Not only the wording was different, but the underlying function.

This sounds like something that is worth trying to diagnose, because it
worked fine for me without the "use LibO dialog" option being selected. On
Mac and Win, I saw the expected field name (separated by) on the dialog, and
the files were created as they were supposed to. On Ubuntu, the field name
was different (Styles) but the function still worked.

Hal

I'm using Win7 Home Premium and a pretty vanilla Classic-type setup, and here (assuming the clipboard paste works) is what I see when I don't use LibO dialogs:

And here it is with the LibO dialogs:

When I tried today with the native dialogs, it worked (once I put in a name, until then it just hung) -- last time it created an odm file on the desktop but no visible odt parts, although the whole document was visible and not obviously different. With the LibO dialogs, everything works as expected. I can't explain why the different behavior, I'm still using the same 3.3.0-Build 4 version of LibO (not sure whether to go to the 3.3.0 final or the 3.3.1 RC ) So I guess the earlier behavior just has to be chalked up as a fluke. :frowning:

Ah, well, pasted graphics don't work, either. I can supply them elsewhere if anybody cares, just tell me where it would be best to save them.