Calc Chapter 2 Mysteries

In doing the initial pass on Chapter 2, I found some strange things. Many of the index entries were blank, and several figures were also missing (though the frame was sized to contain them).

I checked against the OOo version on Alfresco, and there were blank index entries there, too. I could make a stab at them, but I'm not sure I should, that's not an area I've had experience with and it seems to be more an art than a science. :slight_smile:

The missing figures were there in the OOo version, so I copied them and pasted into the LibO version. Each time, the paste resulted in having two copies of the figure. Ctrl-Z to undo the paste left a properly filled figure frame. Very strange!

The apparently-missing images issue is a problem in several chapters in
different OOo user guides. I don't know what causes it; presumably some
weirdness in the long history of the files' progress from, in some
cases, OOo 1.x. I believe TJ Frazier has filed a bug report on this.

I have several tricks to get the pix visible again; if I find my notes,
I'll post them. Meanwhile, changing LibO's Memory Options may help. See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Producing_User_Guides#Change_Memory_options

--Jean

Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

I have several tricks to get the pix visible again; if I find my notes,
I'll post them.

How about grabbing the Writer chapter I kicked back to drafts: One of them
has serious missing image issues, and you could give that a shake and
update.

That copy of Writer Guide Chapter 1 is, in fact, missing images; they
aren't just hidden. You can tell from the unusually small file size, and
by unzipping the file and looking in the Pictures folder. I don't know
what causes that to happen, although I've seen it a few times.

David Nelson, how does one pull up an older version of a file from
Alfresco? A lot of the pix in this chapter can be resurrected from the
OOo counterpart or from Ron Faile's pix, but otherwise copying them from
a previous version of the chapter might be faster and easier.

I'll leave it to Hal or someone to do the actual restoration work.

--Jean

I'll do that. To answer that "how" question -- if you go to the version history and click on an older version, that should be the one downloaded.

Done.