Identification of documents across languages

1) The versioning system should be totally independent of Alfresco's

versioning,

So, every time I post an updated version of a document such that it can be freely read and used by others (e.g. update it on Alfresco), I must also manually obtain a new portable version number, put that in the file when saving it, and associate where that version can be found? No thanks.

There is no need for yet another versioning system. We just require that versions exist and are weakly ordered. That already is present. We do not need the same mechanism and versioning authority to be used everywhere.

Hi, :slight_smile:

1) The versioning system should be totally independent of Alfresco's

versioning,

So, every time I post an updated version of a document such that it can be freely read and used by others (e.g. update it on Alfresco), I must also manually obtain a new portable version number, put that in the file when saving it, and associate where that version can be found?  No thanks.

There is no need for yet another versioning system.  We just require that versions exist and are weakly ordered.  That already is present.  We do not need the same mechanism and versioning authority to be used everywhere.

I don't think we need to update the "LibreOffice document version
system" each time we work on a document. While a document is being
worked on by the team members, before reaching publication state, we
can use the Alfresco versioning system for keeping track of progress.

We'd only need to manually update the LibO version system each time
the English docs team spits out a new version of a document for the
world to use.

However, IMHO, we really do need to have a versioning system that is
*totally independent* of the platform used to work on it.

And, for me, the document's meta data was designed for this kind of
purpose. By taking away the version info from the file name, you can
have nice, localized, human-readable file names while still being able
to keep track of versions and other worthwhile information.

Basically, what we're trying to cater to here is the project policy of
freedom of choice of working tools. That's why we don't really want to
have a versioning system tied to *one* single platform.

3 cents (higher weekend rate)

David Nelson

Hello members,

this post causes me to some comments ...
As a people that does and want do any more translations from english
to german i can say the following:

Hi, :slight_smile:

1) The versioning system should be totally independent of
Alfresco's

versioning,

+1
I don't use Alfresco so what should i do with its versioning?

[...]

I don't think we need to update the "LibreOffice document
version system" each time we work on a document.

I agree to that.

While a document is being worked on by the team members, before
reaching publication state, we can use the Alfresco versioning
system for keeping track of progress.
We'd only need to manually update the LibO version system each
time the English docs team spits out a new version of a document
for the world to use.

+1
The way for me is: I took a (original) english Document name e.g. "best document ever" for LibreOffice 3.3
Then i translate it and of course i translate the title.
In the document i wrote: Based on "best document ever"

What happend, when someone add some more capters to the original english file? Or some significantly text changes?

How could a reviewer find the basis text to compare it with my translation?

However, IMHO, we really do need to have a versioning system that
is *totally independent* of the platform used to work on it.

+1

And, for me, the document's meta data was designed for this kind
of purpose. By taking away the version info from the file name,
you can have nice, localized, human-readable file names while
still being able to keep track of versions and other worthwhile
information.

Basically, what we're trying to cater to here is the project
policy of freedom of choice of working tools. That's why we don't
really want to have a versioning system tied to *one* single
platform.

so, what about using the meta data "custom propertys" there we can define a text row for the document version.
simple and i guess it works.

greetings
volker