Quick reference cards

Bonjour Jean-François

This looks great as well. Would you be interested in working this up again for LibreOffice3.3?

I have printed a copy on US lettre and of course it doesn't fit properly, but, it looks like p.1 could be squeezed a bit to make that side p. 5,6,1 work both in A4 and US letter. T

Side 2 looks more problematic, I don't know if all 3 pages could be squeezed enough to fit a US letter size properly. It may have to be reworked.

If your proof of concept could be printed out on both A4/US letter, this would also be a clear winner.

If you work this out in Français, I could test it out here on US letter (Canada). IMO, we should all switch to A4 the world over. (sigh)

Let me know what you think.

Salut

Marc

Sorry, I am just leaving a note here for the marketing team to keep them up to date. Conferences are looming at this point and some of the members are organising their materials.

Marketing team, have a try and leave your comments.

You will also find the wiki page for the idea here: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#LibreOffice_Desktop_Reference_Cards

I have added some sample "types" of users for whom we could tailor the card.

Cheers

Marc

The licence/credits portion of such cards seems to take a lot of space
(1/6 ?) and be unnecessarily complex. Instead I'd like to see concise
links to contribute and obtain more material.

Cheers,

Fabian

Hi :slight_smile:

This looks like a good draft to me but
1. it uses OpenOffice logos
2. is the funny stork character the LibreOffice character like Tux is linux's?
3. the links are all to OpenOffice rather than LibreOffice

Presumably this is just a work-in-progress and this was an initial draft to show
general layout rather than finished product?

Hi Tom,

Hi :slight_smile:

This looks like a good draft to me but
1. it uses OpenOffice logos

Yes, Jean-François did it for the OOo project,

2. is the funny stork character the LibreOffice character like Tux is linux's?

This is the mascot of the OOo Francophone project, a seagull, see here how it has evolved through the time :
http://mooouette.tuxfamily.org/#mooouette
and even in the shop of the project :wink:
http://oooboutique.manager-pro.com/

3. the links are all to OpenOffice rather than LibreOffice

Presumably this is just a work-in-progress and this was an initial draft to show
general layout rather than finished product?

This is finished for OOo, still a draft for LibO as it needs to be adapted.

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi,

This looks great as well. Would you be interested in working this up
again for LibreOffice3.3?

Of course, otherwise I would have kept my mouth shut :slight_smile:

From this page: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216 (in French) it appears the landscape use should be kept within a printed zone of 237 x 174 mm to be A4 and US letter compliant. I'll rework the QRC starting from these recommendations and keep the group posted.

If you work this out in Français, I could test it out here on US letter
(Canada).

OK. Where should I upload the drafts? At this moment, I can't give any timeframe but I'll do my best to be as fast as possible :slight_smile:

IMO, we should all switch to A4 the world over. (sigh)

A4 rulez! :wink:

Cheers,

Hi :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

thanks for your interest.

Presumably this is just a work-in-progress and this was an initial draft to show
general layout rather than finished product?

Yes, as you guessed and as Sophie already stated, this was a work I had done for the OOo project. It stood as-is and was never brought to daylight. I showed it just as a teaser :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hi Jean-François:

If you work this out in Français, I could test it out here on US letter
(Canada).

OK. Where should I upload the drafts? At this moment, I can't give any
timeframe but I'll do my best to be as fast as possible :slight_smile:

IMO, we should all switch to A4 the world over. (sigh)

A4 rulez! :wink:

Cheers,

Yes, it does rulez! We are almost there (Canada) but our closest neighbour will have to be convinced to move to A4.

Anyway, you could upload it to a Document Foundation wiki page or just email me a copy when you have one done. I'll give it a try on my US letter printer.

Thanks for this.

Cheers

Marc

Hi everyone:

I've just uploaded an early example of a quick reference card for
keyboard shortcuts that I've been working on to the docs dev page (in
resources). I think that quick reference cards would be beneficial to
many people in getting started with the program. I plan on them being
two pages (printed front and back on a single sheet). And can be
laminated if desired. Will let you know when I get a working copy to
upload to the wiki.

Ron

Hi Ron. This will be very appreciated. I can see marketing using this
at conference booths.

I was also thinking that we could also have a reference card that
could sit on a desktop shaped similarly to a "Toblerne" chocolate bar
package.[1] There would be 3 faces with corresponding or affiliated
menu items on each side. We could also have different renditions made
up to suit different people's needs or interests (for new users;
wordprocessing users; calc users; business oriented users; database
users etc. )

If we could categorise these and advertise them on our site it may
prove to be of help to some.

I will leave a copy of this post on the marketing list and see if
anyone would be interested in picking up the idea. I will also make a
note of this in the "ideas" section of marketing.[2] In this case, I
don't think we could call this a promotional idea but more of a tool
to the distro.

Could you also inform the marketing team when your reference card is
completed?

Cheers

Marc

[1]
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/attachments/88205d1229482450-toblerone.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t173239/&h=368&w=540&sz=25&tbnid=EDlYJ4IKGfvS7M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoblerone%2Bchocolate&zoom=1&q=toblerone+chocolate&usg=__GpxeUvkYv_H5tfgiyGfuWONBafA=&sa=X&ei=jfYjTf7WLofInAfj-8nLDg&ved=0CD4Q9QEwBA

[2]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas#LibreOffice_Desktop_Reference_Cards

I will. Here is the link for the reference card (see the resources
section).
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

Yikes! This page has changed and the marketing team was linking the reference card on its conference kit wiki page. Can anyone point me to the new location? Is there anyway to avoid this in the future? Some of us are planning on having some made up for conferences.

Cheers

Marc

Mea Culpa. Ron had them uploaded to the wiki, and I promised to put
them on Alfresco. They are there now, under `LibreOffice
Documentation/en/Reference/Working/Drafts`.

-- jdc

Hi Marc, :slight_smile:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:LibreOffice_Tri-fold_Reference.odt

I guess it would be better to link directly to the content rather than
a specific page?

David Nelson

Hi Ron, :slight_smile:

I've created a reference card from your idea with three sides and featuring
three components: Writer, Calc and Impress. Instructions are on page 2. See
LibreOffice_Tri-fold_Reference.pdf in the Reference Cards section. Comments
are welcome.

Would it be possible to get the source files, in addition to the PDF,
so that it could be maintained by the team in future?

David Nelson

Thanks for doing this. Should we be doing anything about this? Does this mean that there are now 2 copies, one of which could be updated and the other could be left behind? There should only be 1 copy for people to point to.

Cheers

Marc

Yup, although I was hoping more reference cards would be developed too. Which is why I was referring to the page. Oh well.

Cheers

Marc

My understanding is the wiki is where people get published copies; Alfresco
is where the WORKING files (for updates, etc) are kept. So any external
"pointing" should be to the wiki.

Hal

Hi, :slight_smile:

Thanks for doing this. Should we be doing anything about this? Does this
mean that there are now 2 copies, one of which could be updated and the
other could be left behind? There should only be 1 copy for people to point

I'm sure more reference content will be developed as time goes by.
Things take time, Marc, you know how it is... It's like the
templates... :smiley:

The English docs team looks set to be doing its actual work on
Alfresco. But the LibreOffice wiki is the final drop point for all
user-ready content, and versions of files on the wiki will be
maintained up to date as new, finished editions are completed.

But, as Hal says, the main documentation page on the wiki [1] is where
available stuff will be listed there.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

David Nelson

I agree with Marc. These should be listed on a wiki page, either the same
one as the user guides or a separate page. Then people can point to the wiki
page for "quick reference cards" in general or to a specific file if that is
more relevant.

Hal

I have it pointing to the file now. Thanks for clarifying this.

Cheers

Marc

IMO that page needs a lot of cleaning up to make it more useful (and less
confusing) for ordinary users. It's been on my "to do" list for some time,
but I don't know when I'll actually get to it. I hope someone else gets to
it first!

Hal

Everything is OK now. I am happy! :slight_smile:

Cheers

Marc