Calc Guide

In trying to verify the screen shots in Chapter 9, I keep getting bogged down because I don't understand how to set things up and what is supposed to happen. When I can't see what the setup expects, or the screenshot is different, I don't know if I've done something wrong or there's really a problem. I'm inclined to think I can be most useful doing all the other branding changes, and leaving screenshot verification for somebody else. OK?

Hi, :slight_smile:

My 2 cents would be that it's probably more productive to just do what
you can easily do, as you say, and then flag it as needing further
attention (start a discussion on Alfresco, leave comments in the file,
or whatever).

David Nelson

Thanks, David. Reduces my learning curve a lot! If nobody else gets around to it, I'll revisit this later, but for now I'll stick with the rest of the changes. I can't take the screenshots anyway, I'm on Windows.

For some of the Calc Guide chapters, the ODFAuthors team has spreadsheet
files with data that can be used to reproduce and check the examples
given in the book. Later today I will look for these.

Where should I put them on the Alfresco site? I haven't looked at it in
awhile; are there spaces for writers' resources like that?

--Jean

Hi, :slight_smile:

For some of the Calc Guide chapters, the ODFAuthors team has spreadsheet
files with data that can be used to reproduce and check the examples
given in the book. Later today I will look for these.

Where should I put them on the Alfresco site? I haven't looked at it in
awhile; are there spaces for writers' resources like that?

It would be great if you could. "Company Home > LibreOffice >
LibreOffice Documentation > various" would seem like a good place?

David Nelson

Sounds like the right place, and they would certainly help -- along with any guidance folks have been given about using them. A subfolder for them would probably be a good idea, too. There might be some good before/after extracts from them that would help explain the processes involved with screenshots, too. I found Chapter 9 very tough going, and I didn't even try to make sense of sections that didn't have any illustrations at all (quite a lot of that).

Hi Jean, :slight_smile:

This is just a heads-up to say I just moved that space to "Company
Home > LibreOffice > LibreOffice Documentation > en > Various"

David Nelson

I have now placed several spreadsheets and one text file there. These
are data sources for examples in the Calc Guide. Most are used in the
DataPilot chapter (I think), and two for charts & graphs.

I don't have (or can't find) data sources for other examples in the Calc
Guide. If they turn up later, or I need to reproduce them before someone
else does, I'll add them to the collection.

--Jean