Identification of documents across languages

So why don't we get some ideas going about how to do this

I would suggest populating "Document number" with a short ID based on book/chapter, and for "other" documents simply being unique. This part of the ID should not change with translation, so we don't have to worry about it being updated when the file is replicated for translation. If the existing file name prefixes fit the bill, we would have "0202WG3".

The version would be taken from the Alfresco version, and is not recorded in the file on every edit.

We can put the target language in meta-data too if we want it to show up in tool tips or whatever. Language is a suggested value for User Properties; use the same two-letter code as we are in the Alfresco directories.

So, a translation might include an introductory passage that states, "Based on document 0202WG3-en-2.2, with some unique material ported directly from the zh-ch-2.7 that has not found its way back to en yet. Mostly synchronized with en-2.9."

As you see, several documents might be referred to with ad-hoc classifications as to what the relationship is, so I would not include such details in meta-data. However, the author might set up alert dependencies with the various other versions to be apprised when they are updated -- that would trigger on a new version existing, so would not be based on the version number, just the Alfresco document path.

This and other translation notes could be placed in a standard location with a unique paragraph style.

Please remember there are documents outside of alfresco and they will
be. from a user on his own homepage, translated only by a community
member. also we have ODFAuthors the other documentation platform.

therefore I suggest a countinous numbering and a Wikipage as index.
preferrably sortable; number and title and language

Karl-Heinz

Hi Karl-Heinz, :slight_smile:

My 2 cents would be that it's better better to keep the meta data
inside the ODF documents. We'll be able to read a document's meta data
with Alfresco.

So, with the Alfresco share site, we'll be able to automatically
maintain an index that will be publicly consultable, saving time and
work, and avoiding mistakes.

Surely that's more rational? What would be the advantage of manually
maintaining a wiki page?

AFAIK, all the people currently actively working on English
LibreOffice documentation *seem* to be taking up Alfresco.

There would actually be advantages for other NL teams to do so as
well, if they want to take a translation-based approach to producing
documentation for their community - or even if they want to produce
their own content.

But all the NL communities are obviously free to make their own
choices - as the English NL community is, too.

David Nelson