Joining the Documentation Team

Howdy, everyone!
I'm an experienced technical writer, having published in numerous magazines including several "covers". I'm also an experienced technical editor and copy-editor for technical material.
I've been a practicing C++ developer for many years, and right now I want to turn again to writing. I'd like to get involved with the LibreOffice documentation, as soon as I can.

--John

Hi John,

Howdy, everyone! I'm an experienced technical writer, having
published in numerous magazines including several "covers". I'm also
an experienced technical editor and copy-editor for technical
material. I've been a practicing C++ developer for many years, and
right now I want to turn again to writing. I'd like to get involved
with the LibreOffice documentation, as soon as I can.

Welcome aboard!
Kind regards
Sophie

Hi John, :slight_smile:

Howdy, everyone!
I'm an experienced technical writer, having published in numerous magazines including several "covers".  I'm also an experienced technical editor and copy-editor for technical material.
I've been a practicing C++ developer for many years, and right now I want to turn again to writing.  I'd like to get involved with the LibreOffice documentation, as soon as I can.

I created an account for you on the Alfresco site that a lot of the
English docs contributors are starting to use for docs work. I mailed
you the details.

Is there anything specific you'd like to work on, or would you like to
be suggested some possible work waiting to be done?

David Nelson

I'm open to suggestions. I think I could be productive if I had some copy-editing and proofing to do, as I could nibble away at that while I'm not pounding away on my Science Fiction or other authoring work. I'm particularly talented at finding inconsistencies in technical docs, and I just love fixing punctuation and formatting nits in the Wikipedia articles I read <g>.

I've been browsing through the archive here, and trying to understand "the situation". I think the wiki should be updated with an answer so it doesn't need to be gone over every time someone comes in.

Hi John, :slight_smile:

Just to give you a quick idea, you could take a look on the Alfresco
site on the path:

LibreOffice > LibreOffice Documentation > en > Calc > Working > Drafts

There, you'd find draft chapters of the Calc guide and could dive in
there, if you wanted...?

In case it's useful, I'll send you some Alfresco documentation, but we
also now have an "Alfresco Boot Camp" document, written by Jeremy
Cartwright, to get you started. I'll send you that, too.

The wiki is a work in progress right now, we need to update that.

David Nelson

Hi :slight_smile:

I often think that proof-reading or reviewing documents and getting them through
that process is a great way to start especially if people have little orr no
experience with the product.  It leads to grokking the product much better &
much faster and is incredibly useful.  The most important thing is to try a few
different stages and see which suits your mood.

IMO the best place to begin is with the chapters of the Writer Guide,
which are in the Review space for that book. These chapters have been
through the rebranding cycle and are ready for proofreading. The Calc
chapters have not yet been rebranded, figures updated, etc.

Jean