Hi Alex,

2011/1/31 Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com>:
Le 31/01/11 16:41, Sigrid Carrera a écrit :

Hi Sigrid,

Oh, when I said I want to proofread some documentation, I was told,
that whatever I correct, has to be proofread again by a native english
speaker. So clearly, my contribution there was not welcome.

Hmm, I wouldn't consider it like that, perhaps you are taking things too
personally. If I write documentation in French, or German (which I can,
I just don't do it very often), I would expect a native mother tongue
speaker to proofread and correct it as necessary. Obviously, if no one
volunteers up to do it, then well that's just tough and the document
would go "live" with all its faults and potentially awkward turns of
phrase. Even if I were to draft in English, I would at least expect
someone to go over it and check for spelling mistakes, dropped words,
"brain outages" and the like, just for the sake of completeness. I don't
find that hard to accept, if the final document reads well for the
intended audience.

Perhaps. But from the tone of that said email I got the impression,
that my work isn't wanted. If I translate something say from German to
English, yes I would want someone else to proofread, because I am too
much in German grammar mode and I know, that thhis is not how a native
English speaker would write that content. But I am quite confident,
that when I edit a text, that has been created / edited by a native
speaker, I won't change grammar.

Ultimately, it would only take one person to have an account there to be
the go-between. On the other hand, why doesn't ODFAuthors have something
like you are suggesting for those working with Alfresco ? The effort
works both ways IMHO. Why should those who want to work with Alfresco
have to have an account with ODFAuthors ?

They don't. Jean is nice enough to announce when there are chapters
done and ready for rebranding. Heck, the last set was uploaded by Jean
to Alfresco.

Ideally, both systems could either have liaison officers, or some form
of automatic notification system. I don't really see why the onus should
be on the Alfresco system to do so when ODFAuthors does not (as far as I
know, but please correct me if I'm wrong). Or, as I mentioned in my
other post, the native language projects could have their own wiki page
which would keep people abreast of who is doing what - this would
require the documentation authors to submit what they are doing to the
LibO wiki page native language coordinator or update it themselves. The
French N-L group already have such a page.

That's right. A wiki page would be good. But this also means, that the
wiki page needs to have the documents in question. Just a list saying
"I'm working on this document" doesn't do it if I have no idea where I
can find the "original" document, that I'm going to translate.

Sigrid