Template repository maintenance

Hi, :slight_smile:

When I was working over the "Get Involved" section of the
libreoffice.org website, I was trying to figure out who to dump the
subject of template development on. In the end, I concluded that it's
an area in which the docs team could be active.

We're currently very short on templates to offer our user base. To be
more precise, our template download page [1] has precisely two
templates (thanks to Ron Faile for developing them). This is not a
very generous endowment, yet templates can be a major
productivity-booster for LibreOffice users.

My idea is that we could trawl the Web and acquire a good collection,
upload them to Alfresco, work on them, and then put them on our
template download page [1] with a credit to the author, as well as
sending back a copy to the original source (when the said
source/author is locatable).

We could possibly highlight the best 10 of the bunch on the
libreoffice.org Features > Templates page [2].

There are various sites we could get Open Source templates from, but
we need to be *very* careful about checking the licensing of the said
templates for GPL/Creative Commons licensing:

- http://opentemplate.org/
- http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
- http://www.smalldataproblem.org/ooextras/
- http://www.presentationmagazine.com/free-open-office-impress-templates-91.htm

The above are just a few possible sources.

There are many templates out there that fulfill the same purpose, but
they are often far from being equal in terms of quality and design.
The goal would be to collect only the best, so that we only offer good
produce to our users.

What do you think of this idea? Any takers for getting involved in this?

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Downloads/Templates
[2] http://www.libreoffice.org/features/templates/
[3] http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/documenters/

David Nelson

Hi :slight_smile:

Ahh, that is something i would be really bad at i think.

I have a feeling that a lot of projects have a core-group of "official
templates" and then community or user websites with attractive names with themes
and skins and things developed by users. So, i think we are working at the
official ones right now.

Shouldn't this be a job for the Design Team? :wink: Hmm, maybe not.

I might have a bit of a look tomorrow tho.