Gedit colour codes the both the html and the css.  If i hover over an open
coding bracket <smile> then it highlights the corresponding closing bracket
</smile>.  I don't know what it does if there isn't a closing bracket.
Something for me to check! :)  It doesn't tell me what to write or give me
look-up tables or drop-down lists of possible tags/coding but i use w3schools or
look-up tables from elsewhere if required.

I think i should check out your suggestions to see if they do give extra
functionality.  Even if they don't it would be interesting to see if they do
help me.  Thanks for the suggestions :)