Le 27/01/2011 00:37, Andy Brown a écrit :

The Mid Level Base tutorial [1] is a very good "beginners" document as
well. It contains three parts, the first two cover what a database is
and how to design it. The third covers Base using SQL command to build a
database.

I find this to be a *very* good tutorial. A little too deep for a general intro but could be an excellent start to make one (by pruning and grafting... well, more pruning than grafting).

As of a Base tutorial for beginners, here's the outline I'm thinking of:

Part 1
-- What a RDBMS is (principles, tables, relations, queries)
-- How to devise a database
-- Introduction to Base
-- Creating a DB with Base
-- Importing data from Calc and delimited text files
-- Querying a DB in interactive mode (not so sure about the English wording here as I've got the French version installed)
-- Using a DB for mailmerge

Part 2
-- Introduction to SQL
-- Querying a DB using SQL
-- Useful tools (Sun/Oracle Report Builder, MySQLworkbench)
-- Reporting with S/ORB
-- Using Base as a front-end for MySQL (MySQLconnector extension) and PostgreSQL (SDBC)

This contents is what I currently intend to stuff into a series of in-house training I'm planning. I reckon this outline to be quite progressive and, from my experience, seems to be what newcomers want.

HTH,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux