On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 03:59 +0800, David Nelson wrote:

I think that odfauthors.org is a great resource for smaller Open
Source projects that don't have the people, time or resources to
properly develop their own documentation.

In addition, I feel that the LibreOffice project naturally has a
common interest with odfauthors.org: the promotion of the ODF format.
And, as another Open Source project, notably one that promotes the ODF
format, we should be supportive of odfauthors.org.

But I think it's in the best interests of a major software project
like LibreOffice to have an in-house documentation team with in-house
expertise.

No matter what similarities there might be between OpenOffice.org and
LibreOffice right at present (odfauthors.org develops documentation
for OpenOffice.org), the two products are quickly going to diverge.
LibreOffice might as well start developing its own documentation team
and expertise now - especially considering the need, at a future time,
to develop comprehensive developer documentation for LibreOffice, in
view of rendering it truly open.

David, you appear to have a warped and not entirely correct view of
ODFAuthors. It's a *website* that is available to any group who wishes
to use it. There is no reason why an "in-house documentation team with
in-house expertise" should not use the website.

Your comment suggests that you think the existing team of techwriters at
ODFAuthors are intending to work on all the projects that might use the
website. Of course there will be --and already is-- some overlap in
people working on OOo docs (through ODFAuthors) and LibO docs (wherever
that's done); but that's unrelated to *where* the work is done.

No problem if the LibreOffice docs team choose to not use the ODFAuthors
website for the technical reasons you mention, but the "in-house
expertise" argument doesn't hold up.