Hi Tom, Barbara, *,

2011/1/17 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>

Hi :)

Drop-down list is the usual form known out there but it is quite generic.
People outside of LibreOffice do shorten it to "drop-down" fairly often but
"drop-down list" is probably better for formal documentation, especially
since
it is already more widely used.

I agree with you. "Drop down list" is a well known term and should be used
in the documentation.

"Selection list", "selection menu" & "combo box" tend to be slightly more
specific and are trying to make it sound more posh and high-class.  All
these
terms are  less likely to be understood and "combo-box" is definitely tooo
geeky
for most people.  However, they are legitimate as specific types of
drop-downs
so please lets not change them just to be consistent because that will
probably
detract from the perceived quality of our documentation.

I think, I have heard the term "combo box" only in the context of database
related stuff. But since I'm not a base user, I don't have any experience
there.

Sigrid