On 1/12/2011 1:22 PM, Gary Schnabl wrote:
On 1/12/2011 1:14 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
OK, it seems that "context menu" is the preferred choice. Thanks!

Sometime around twenty years ago, Microsoft and Apple employed differing forms--context versus contextual--in their documentation. I forgot which one used which. Other developers typically chose the form of the two forms based upon the O/S their apps used. IOW, back then it was a PC/Mac sort of thing.

Doing some pro bono (they gave me expensive embedded-microcontroller firmware-development apps to use for free) technical-editing work for Motorola in the very late 1990s/early 2000s, I used each form, depending upon which O/S the particular IDE apps used.

So, another consideration is to employ the term based upon the particular O/S hosting the office suite.

Gary

I think the intent is for the documentation (embedded help, online, PDFs, published) to be as platform-neutral as possible, and as consistent with each other as possible in the terminology used. Sophie is kindly doing greps on the embedded help so we can try to do that. Always interesting to get the backstory, though! I don't even remember now what terms were used in the IBM product I was working on embedded help for (back in 1996, in one of my last actual paid activities).