Is there a generic term that covers taskbar, dock, panel?  Many users will see
all these things as being very much alike.  Geeks know that they are completely
different of course but many people don't even know the name for whichever one
they have been using for years.  I think taskbar is generally used as the
generic term since docks are almost never seen by about 90-80% of desktop users.