On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Sophie Gautier <gautier.sophie@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi Hal,

On 10/01/2011 04:43, Hal Parker wrote:

Are we using the term "dialog" or "dialog box"? The OOo books vary in
usage:
Getting Started and Calc (and maybe Draw; I didn't check) use "dialog"
while
the Writer Guide uses "dialog box".

The LibreOffice options use the term "dialog" for some of the options. I
haven't checked the help, but I think it also uses "dialog".

If we settle on "dialog", I will amend the Writer Guide chapters as I go
through them doing other things.

FWIW, I personally prefer "dialog" but the important thing is to be
consistent, when we can. I suspect other variations in terminology in both
the program and the user guides, left over from OOo.

If you want to stay consistent with the help files content, then you should
use [dialog] because this is what is used all over there.
May be we should find a way for you to use our translation memory or
glossaries so you get the same words for the UI, the Help and your
documentation? This is what we try to achieve with our translation tools. Or
just let you research for the terms on Pootle would be enough, I don't know?

Sophie, thank you for the confirmation that the Help uses "dialog". IMO that
is the best reason for the user guides to use that term also.

I think it would be very helpful for the writers to have access to (or a
copy of) the glossaries used for the UI and Help. I don't know what might be
the best way for us to do that. I have never used Pootle or any type of
translation tool. I think for the writers/reviewers/editors, having a list
of terms in the documentation resources would be easier for us to use. I,
for example, often work offline, so I would like to have a word list that I
can store on my own computer.

This is my opinion. David and Ron and the others may have different ideas,
or know more about it than I do.

Hal