Edited Writer Guide Chapter 1

I have just finished editing Writer Guide Chapter 1. I updated the template
and replaced many of the screenshots, mostly using images from Ron's zip
file or from the Getting Started guide. I put the replacement file on both
the Alfresco site and the wiki. Hope I did the Alfresco thing correctly!

Hal

Mr. Parker:

Are you looking for a volunteer to help with documentation ?

My degree is in journalism though I have no experience as a technical writer.

If I can help you, let me know.  My goal is to develop a portfolio to show a prospective employer.

Shawn Jarrett

Hi Shawn, :slight_smile:

Did you get the mail I sent you? Of course, you're most welcome to get
involved. :wink:
Give us an idea of what you want to do.

P.S. Hal is a lady. :wink:

David Nelson

There was a change to the Tip/Note/Caution tables, too, as I noticed in looking at the Getting Started with Writer chapter and working on Chapter 9 of the Writer Guide. All have the line color changed to Gray 40%, and a background color in cell A1: Tip is Chart 6, Note is Green 4, Caution is Chart 3. I didn't notice any other such housekeeeping-type changes -- are there any?

About the status in the control table Feedback column -- as I understand it that stays at NO while we have the chapter checked out and have not yet replaced the wiki file, goes to BACK if we replace the wiki file and no longer have it checked out, but know it is not done, and goes to YES when we think it's ready for proofreading. Is that right? If a chapter is checked out again for editing while in BACK status, does it go to NO again, or is the ID in the Checkout column enough?

I have just finished editing Writer Guide Chapter 1. I updated the
template
and replaced many of the screenshots, mostly using images from Ron's zip
file or from the Getting Started guide. I put the replacement file on both
the Alfresco site and the wiki. Hope I did the Alfresco thing correctly!

There was a change to the Tip/Note/Caution tables, too, as I noticed in
looking at the Getting Started with Writer chapter and working on Chapter 9
of the Writer Guide. All have the line color changed to Gray 40%, and a
background color in cell A1: Tip is Chart 6, Note is Green 4, Caution is
Chart 3. I didn't notice any other such housekeeeping-type changes -- are
there any?

Thanks for the reminder about the Tip/Note/Caution tables. I forgot them;
too focused on the figures. I'll go back into the Writer Guide chapter and
update those tables. I've checked out the file again in both Alfresco and
the wiki.

Given my memory, we'd best wait for Ron to remind us of any other changes
which are not applied by the template.

About the status in the control table Feedback column -- as I understand it
that stays at NO while we have the chapter checked out and have not yet
replaced the wiki file, goes to BACK if we replace the wiki file and no
longer have it checked out, but know it is not done, and goes to YES when we
think it's ready for proofreading. Is that right? If a chapter is checked
out again for editing while in BACK status, does it go to NO again, or is
the ID in the Checkout column enough?

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the ID in the Checkout column
is enough.

Hal

I just remembered another change. The OOo chapters use this style for
referring to other chapters:
"Chapter X (Title of chapter)" -- Ron has changed them to "Chapter X, Title
of chapter" -- without the quotes, of course.

Hal

Yes, the > symbol changed to an arrow in menu paths. Once you do the find and replace, you'll need to select each arrow and change the character style to OOoComputer Code. This changes the font to Liberation Mono and makes the arrow centered. There was not a centered arrow in Liberation Sans.

The formatting for tables has changed.

You'll need to check the links. Some go to the OOo site. For example the extensions link in Ch. 1 of the Writer Guide, the new link is in Ch. 1 of Getting Started.

You're right in you're latest email, the chapter title references have changed slightly.

One thing that I'm not sure of at the moment is the discussion that's going on about doing screenshots under windows. From what they are saying, the screenshots may have to be done under Linux. So for the moment, you might want to hold off on doing much work on those until there is a clearer answer on how to move forward. I don't want us to do a bunch of work that will have to be changed. Maybe someone else on the lists can help.

The status for the Feedback column will stay No until the chapter is ready to move to the Proofing stage. Only if it gets to Proofing and someone sees something that needs to be changed does it need the Back status. When you check something out, you don't need to change the status of the Feedback, Proofing or Publish until you're done with that part of the work or have reviewed it and noticed that it either needed more work or agree that it is ready to be published. If it's checked out again for more editing after in Back status, you're ID is enough. You don't really need to change the status until you're ready for it to go to Proofing again.

Ron

Thanks, Hal.

Thanks, Ron. If I find time later today, I will list these items on the
/Documentation/Development wiki page for general reference when people are
checking files... unless someone gets to that before I do.

Hal

[...]

The only Liberation font that shows up in my font selection list is Liberation Sans Narrow, although all the text still has the Liberation Sans font. I should probably install both of these fonts, but where should I get them?

The formatting for tables has changed.

Borders horizontal only, below rows only, except above heading; heading row background gray 10%. No change to line color/width. Right?

[...]

Thanks for the clarification.

Hi Ron, @all,

[...]

One thing that I'm not sure of at the moment is the discussion that's going
on about doing screenshots under windows. From what they are saying, the
screenshots may have to be done under Linux. So for the moment, you might
want to hold off on doing much work on those until there is a clearer answer
on how to move forward. I don't want us to do a bunch of work that will have
to be changed. Maybe someone else on the lists can help.

AFAIK, we used for the OpenOffice.org guides the "Glider" theme, that
is provided by Gnome. This means, many people have it, even if they
use different distributions. I also have somewhere a note, which theme
was used, if you have KDE installed instead of Gnome.

Found it:

Colour: Colour scheme plastic
window decoration: plastic;
Extras (Additions):
     surrounding size: very small
     title position: left ;
     Buttons: Userdefined Position
     active in title bar
Style: plastic

(Note, this is a rough translation by me from German, you might want
to use your "imagination") :wink:

Hope this helps.

Sigrid

PS: If you look at the screenshots on de.libreoffice.org you'll see
how the glider theme looks - I took those pictures using this theme.

The only Liberation font that shows up in my font selection list is Liberation Sans Narrow, although all the text still has the Liberation Sans font. I should probably install both of these fonts, but where should I get them?

The download link is here:
https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/
filename:
liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721.tar.gz <https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721.tar.gz>

The formatting for tables has changed.

Borders horizontal only, below rows only, except above heading; heading row background gray 10%. No change to line color/width. Right?

Right.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron

Now done.
Hal

The only Liberation font that shows up in my font selection list is Liberation Sans Narrow, although all the text still has the Liberation Sans font. I should probably install both of these fonts, but where should I get them?

The download link is here:
https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts/
filename:
liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721.tar.gz <https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liberation-fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721.tar.gz>

Got the fonts (eventually!). Thanks.

IMHO, it would be better if the fonts chosen for the guide were all
available within LibO independtly of the platform. I am currently
translating the Base Getting Started Chapter and quite frankly it was a
nightmare watching the text jump around (page setting problems), or
arrows being misrepresented ( ">" which has just been changed, I
believe), or even italics not displaying correctly. Could we not agree
on one or more fonts that are known to exist "as standard" (if such a
thing is possible) on all main platforms ?

I realize that we unfortunately also have to deal with the Linux
distribution packagers here, who appear to choose according to varying
criteria which font packages do / don't make it into a given Linux
distribution. Additionally, there are whole set of Apple fonts for Mac
that are not available elsewhere.

Just my 2c.

Alex