Install Guide Feedback

People please tell me what you think of the Install guide for Linux in the
wiki ...

If you need it to be converted to ODT you need to get me a heads up,
otherwise I won´t bother.

Rogerio

Do you have a link?

Andy

Hi Rogerio, :slight_smile:

People please tell me what you think of the Install guide for Linux in the
wiki ...

Me, I thought it was simpler than what I wrote. Mine was a bit
geeky... :wink: But, in my own defense, I was catering to a lot of
feedback from geeky people. :smiley:

I will post it on the libreoffice.org site tomorrow. IMHO, it's not
necessary to convert it to ODT... I see this content living basically
on the website, with a backup draft on the wiki....

David Nelson

+1 :slight_smile:

But thanks for the work any way :wink:

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi David,
[...]

I will post it on the libreoffice.org site tomorrow. IMHO, it's not
necessary to convert it to ODT... I see this content living basically
on the website, with a backup draft on the wiki....

/me take a very small voice :slight_smile:
Please, remember to let the readme on line, the product is pointing to it. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Sophie, :slight_smile:

/me take a very small voice :slight_smile:
Please, remember to let the readme on line, the product is pointing to it.
Thanks a lot!

I don't see any readme online... What URL is it supposed to be at?

Otherwise, send it to me and tell me where you want me to put it
(politely), and I will do so.

David Nelson

Hi David,

Hi Sophie, :slight_smile:

/me take a very small voice :slight_smile:
Please, remember to let the readme on line, the product is pointing to it.
Thanks a lot!

I don't see any readme online... What URL is it supposed to be at?

from the en_US readme file in the install set:
For latest updates to this readme file, see http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
and it exists! :slight_smile:
only some ${PRODUCTNAME} ${PRODUCTVERSION} has to be replaced it seems. But the all the links inside seems to work, I'll check for sure tomorrow.

Otherwise, send it to me and tell me where you want me to put it
(politely), and I will do so.

I'm still wondering if I'm polite :wink: well it's French humor I guess :slight_smile:
I'll send you some stuff tomorrow for the content. I'll try to choose LibO only stuff.

Kind regards
Sophie

Sorry for that. Here´s it is:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_LibreOffice_on_Linux

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP ... (that´s brazilian sarcasm
for you gringos) ... proof read the hole document, I did not touch the part
that comes after the De-isntallation Instructions, so that is still up to
David (I really think it sould be supressed from Install procedures, maybe a
link somewhere to a "Problems / Considerations" page)

And of course I´ll bug my friends to hell that it´s my baby so if there will
be some credits passed aroud send please some my way (greedy smile :))))

Congrats to everybody this team. This was WAY MORE easy to contribute than I
had ever dreamed of, this is the way you get people to support your project
100%.

Rogerio.

Hi Rogerio

[...]

ah,ah, you know what, I love you, I mean the Brazilian team :wink:

Congrats to everybody this team. This was WAY MORE easy to contribute than I
had ever dreamed of, this is the way you get people to support your project
100%.

Too much to read for this evening, but will keep an eye on it tomorrow. Thanks for your work and sharing it :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:

Err this guide deals almost entirely with worst case scenarios where LibreOffice
is not in the repos. LO is already in the repos of quite a few market leaders
and other distros. Even Arch has it in their repos already!

Debian and RedHat are just about to produce new releases for the first time in
years, hopefully just after our release.

So, people are increasingly less likely to need to mess around with tarballs or
anything trickier than a 3 click install. Many other distros are just waiting
for the proper release of LO.

I had a quick skim through the guide tho
* de-install 'should' be uninstall or un-install
The meaning was fairly clear but it is better as "Un-". I changed the relevant
heading to match the edited link and it works.

Also a few sundry tpyos and sepling mistakes but nothing exciting except
openSUSE was writen as OpenSuse.

Do we use "dropdown" or "drop-down"? I changed to the 2nd one.

I don't mind getting things in non-ODT formats. I use OpenOffice or LibreOffice
so i can read almost any format and really don't even notice which formats
things are in unless i need to communicate with outsiders.

Since i am on linux i doubt any infections in ".doc" or ".docX" could do any
harm on my system so again, no worries :slight_smile:

Wow, i feel so smug about being in good company here & yes i am running an
anti-virus check jic lol

Hi Tom,

Hi :slight_smile:

Err this guide deals almost entirely with worst case scenarios where LibreOffice
is not in the repos. LO is already in the repos of quite a few market leaders
and other distros. Even Arch has it in their repos already!

Yes, you're right and it's good. But (you know there is always a but :wink: very very soon we will be able to produce nightly builds and we will need people to install them and test them to report feedback asap. So this detailed installation instructions will be of great help for that.

Kind regards
Sophie

I understand (and it is in the Install procedures I wrote) that the "easy"
way is to graphically install anything in Linux now, but what if that fails
or you want the bleeding edge? This Documentation is for the 0,5% that will
ever need it.

That is what documentation is for anyways, being a Debian user myself I
don´t read ANY DOCUMENTATION unless I can´t get something to work without
effort in the first place. But when I DO need documentation I expect it to
be complete and *just work*.

But as I said before ... this was my first Documentation draft ... and any
help improving it will be apreciated, thanks again for the feedback :wink:

Rogerio

Hi :slight_smile:

I agree.

However, we sometimes focus tooo much on extremely rare and unlikely
situations. This seems to make non-linux users think that we always have to use
one of those complicated methods. I have had an offlist chat with someone from
here who had a brief try at linux. He always used the complicated methods
because he never found the gui package managers.

Hmm, i am not sure about expecting documentation to be 100% up-to-date.
Sometimes examples have to be given of specific releases but usually
documentation 'should' make that clear and show which part might need tweaking
if used on subsequent releases. Also i don't expect documentation to be 100%
good english. That is partly because we all use English slightly differently.
Different towns, different social groups, different professions all use
different vocabulary and different sentence structures. We aim somewhere near
perfection and that works well.

Anyway the main point was that your documentation was good and will be useful.
I enjoyed proof-reading it (unlike some people's writings!) but i think someone
a bit more technical might need to tidy up the areas you said were incomplete.
I didn't thoroughly test the process you described but it looked about right at
a skim through. I was more interested in quickly sorting grammar, spelling and
sundry pedantic stuff like that :slight_smile: All was good before but is hopefully a
little better now :slight_smile:

Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Thanks again :slight_smile: