Ok here is a usecase that is active and being used for REAL:

We are a team of Brasilian translators that translate the BrOffice Magazine
from Portuguese eo English.

We have 4 folders in a DropBox setting with the root folder having a
Spreadsheet with the workflow,

So our root folder looks like:

WORKFLOW.ODS

Entry /

Translation /

Revision /

Diagramation /

So the workfow is:

1) An article is put into the Entry folder, Workflow.ods is updated ,
generally "$DATE, article.odt, is put into the Entry"

2) One of the Translators moves the "article" to the Translation  folder,
changes it's name to show who is working on it and at what step he is
"article-Joe-Trans" - he updates the Workflow.ods to show what is being done

3) After he finished he renames to "article-Trans-FINISHED" moves it to
Revsion / folder and updates the Workflow.ods

4) One of the Revisors , renames to "article-Rev-Jonny" and updates the
Workflow

5) After he finishes , renames again to "article-Rev-FINISHED" and puts it
in the Diagramation folder, updates Workflow

6) Diagramation guys rename to "article-dia-Roberta" and when finished the
rename "article-FINISHED" and updates the Workflow, when all articles are
"FINISHED" we have a new magazine ready for the stands (at least the
eletronic ones) :)

This seems to me a good place to start ...

Rogerio

PS: if the lsit permits I am sending our .ods for an example