Volunteering...

Hello:

I would like to volunteer for your organization as a writer.  My degree is in journalism though I have no experience in technical writing.

I would like to develop a technical writing portfolio in order to apply for local jobs.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thankyou,

Shawn Jarrett     786-470-4557

Hi Shawn, :slight_smile:

We'll be happy to welcome you into the team. :slight_smile: We can definitely
apportion you one of the currently-unwritten guides, so that you can
work-up a nice press book item to present to your prospective
clients/employers - the Draw Guide, for instance. That would give you
a manual that you would have produced largely by yourself, with
proofreading and *light* post-editing by another team member, such as
myself. Does that fit-in for you volume-wise?

We'll be happy to mentor you for the technical writing aspect and,
generally, give you any help/advice you need.

There is currently an evaluation/experiment starting-up with Alfresco,
within the docs team. If you're willing to use Alfresco as a working
platform, that would be great. But we don't *impose* such choices on
people - the way they want to contribute is left up to them, within
very broad limits. Alfresco will require a little bit of
documentation-reading, but it's a useful expertise to acquire these
days, when online team collaborative experience is quickly becoming a
wanted skill (IMHO).

What do you think?

David Nelson

Shawn's not subscribed to this list, so you'll need to send a copy of
your note to him if you haven't already. I accepted his note in the
moderation queue but rushed off before telling the list he wasn't sub'd,
or getting back to him with subscription info.

--Jean

The OOo Draw Guide is written, but it hasn't been rebranded for LibO or
updated (if necessary) for V3.3 of either program. Are you suggesting
that level of work, or writing from scratch?

If someone want to write something from scratch, there are plenty of
less ambitious projects to start with on the wish list -- or that should
be on the wish list.

--Jean

Hi Jean, :slight_smile:

Done, thanks. :wink: