Translating ODF files on Pootle

Hi all,

As promised, I'm going on with the tests concerning the ability to use Pootle in the translation workflow for documentation. As you may know, Pootle is able to handle very large projects now thanks to the great work the team has provided. There is all the tools needed for the translation process, but also you can assign task and objectives to a member or a team.

I've worked on the first chapter of the OOoAuthors guide for beginners. I used WordForge filters [1] to convert the file from .odt (ODF file format) to .xlf (XLIFF file format). Both are standards, so it should be easier to have a good conversion. Several tools manage off line translation for Xliff file format, like WordForge or OmegaT, there may be others I don't know too.

Rimas has kindly uploaded the file on Pootle [2], creating a new project for several languages for the beginning. Currently, en_GB fr hu ko nl oc pt_BR ru zh_CN . Those are the 7 languages for which libo33 project is fully localized plus hu and nl.
The issue we meet is that the strings appears as needing review instead of being empty.

If other team wants to give a try, please follow the same process as for the extensions project, post on the mailing list and Rimas (big thanks to him :slight_smile: will take care of your request.

Please, follow up on the l10n list for the moment, we will settle a more precise workflow once we have solved the issued that may raised and that we are sure most (I know we miss an offline tool currently for Mac translators) of the needs to work quietly and efficiently on the documentation translation.

Thanks for your help in improving the process :slight_smile:

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/wordforge2/
[2] http://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/doc_test/

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Sophie, Rimas,

[...]

I would like to test the process for de - if that is possible. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Sigrid

Hi Javier,

Hi Sophie,

The ODF2XLIFF filters in both translate toolkit and WordForge are
broken. They ignore some strings from the source (they do not go into
the XLIFF files) in which there is mark-up. They can be used only for
plain text without any markup, and even them segmentation is not very
good. There are also other problems with them. I-tools does not have
enough working tools either.

Ok, I didn't test enough to be aware of the errors, the round trip I made seems to be ok, but thanks a lot for your feedback.

Our testing shows that the Okapi framework does a good job for the round
trip, I don't know about other tools.

Ok, good to know, thanks, I'll test it now for the conversion.

This is a very important issue, but not easy to solve. We will be
putting some time to fix it, but it will not happen immediately.

I understand. Thanks a lot for the work you have already done for us :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

The ODF2XLIFF filters in both translate toolkit and WordForge are broken. They ignore some strings from the source (they do not go into the XLIFF files) in which there is mark-up. They can be used only for plain text without any markup, and even them segmentation is not very good. There are also other problems with them. I-tools does not have enough working tools either.

Our testing shows that the Okapi framework does a good job for the round trip, I don't know about other tools.

This is a very important issue, but not easy to solve. We will be putting some time to fix it, but it will not happen immediately.

Cheers,

Javier

Sophie Gautier wrote:

Hi Sophie,

I have just one question regarding the document you used:

Hi all,

[...]

I've worked on the first chapter of the OOoAuthors guide for beginners. I
used WordForge filters [1] to convert the file from .odt (ODF file format)
to .xlf (XLIFF file format). Both are standards, so it should be easier to
have a good conversion. Several tools manage off line translation for Xliff
file format, like WordForge or OmegaT, there may be others I don't know too.

Did you use the OOo version or the file, that was already adapted to
LibO? The latter can be found in the tdf wiki on this page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Chapter 1 is considered to be finished, so it is already offered as
pdf as well. :wink:

I just noticed some paragraphs, that weren't in the LibO version like
the explanation that OpenOffice is a trademark owned by someone else
and so on.... So, if we were to use Pootle for translation I think it
would be useful to use the already adapted file as our sourcefile.

Sigrid

Hi Sigrid,

[...]

I'm really sorry but I think I missed it when I begin the tests last month. I'm working very slowly on this because it needs comparison at several stages and my time is quite short. So I may have begin before you upload the updated files.
Of course for the real translation, we will get in synch with OOoAuthors production (or the new team name :), currently it's really for testing because as you see, we have to make sure that both the converter and Pootle handle the file correctly. The most important for the moment is to see how the xliff format is handled and converted back.

But thank for you help and your support Sigrid and again sorry for not noticing the last version of your work.

Kind regards
Sophie