Problem with Chapter 1

I have downloaded Chapter 1 (Introducing LibreOffice) from the wiki.
When I attempt to open it, LibreOffice seizes up and must be manually
killed. The same thing happened when I tried to open the file in OOo3.3.
I do not have this problem with the other chapters.

Using Ubuntu 10.10 with LibORC1.

Jean

I've reverted it to the previous version. Try it now. It did the same on Windows.

Ron

Still no good. Same problem.

--Jean

I took the original file that had the problem and accepted all changes and saved it. Uploaded to wiki. It opens immediately. The problem file actually does open, it just takes longer than it should. It had a lot of changes, maybe that caused a problem. Let me know if it works for you.

Ron

I have just collected the file from the wiki. Contrary to what you said,
it still has all the recorded changes in it. However, it did eventually
open after a long, long wait.

BTW, I would have assumed that you, as the person taking charge of these
files, would have routinely accepted or rejected changes by others as
you checked their work.

--Jean

> I took the original file that had the problem and accepted all changes
> and saved it. Uploaded to wiki. It opens immediately. The problem file
> actually does open, it just takes longer than it should. It had a lot of
> changes, maybe that caused a problem. Let me know if it works for you.
>
> Ron

I have just collected the file from the wiki. Contrary to what you said,
it still has all the recorded changes in it. However, it did eventually
open after a long, long wait.

After writing the above note, I accepted all the changes, saved the
file, closed and reopened, and it opens immediately. That does suggests
too many recorded changes.

However, it has another oddness. It's showing the area along the side
where comments are displayed, but I can find no comments in the file.

This file (and possibly the version with all the recorded changes) looks
like a good candidate for a bug report, because it definitely has
problems. But don't look at me: I'm not taking the time to file a bug
report.

--Jean

I uploaded the file again after accepting all changes, so there are none at the moment in it. There has been no discussion on when to accept changes. So please do not criticize or talk down to me. I left them there so others could see the changes that have been made and follow the development of the documentation as well. If that is not needed, I will do as necessary.

Ron

Sorry, I didn't intend to criticise. I was making an observation.
Apologies that my comment didn't sound that way.

--Jean

I got the file again and it's clean now, but it does have the
interesting problem of a comment area but no comments that I mentioned
in a previous note. I am sure this is some weirdness in the file, likely
not caused by anyone's actions, but it's there.

And on that note I will shut up for the night.

I've downloaded the chapter after your second note, that you did
accept all the changes. When I switch to Edit > Changes > Show, I can
see all the changes. So I am a bit confused.

I have scanned the document and two things I did notice:

- The links to the website: I would change them in such a way, that I
remove the "test" from the link name.
- The password protection: This has changed in OOo - you can protect
the whole file with a password, so that you can only read it, when you
have the password. And the new option is, that you can protect the
file against changes. I haven't checked, if this new feature is
present in LibO, but if it is, it should be mentioned in the guide
too.

Sigrid

Hi, :slight_smile:

Ron, my 2 cents would be that if you feel satisfied with a document
after reviewing and proofreading it, you can just accept all the
changes. When you feel that, in your opinion, it's ready for final
publication, you can remove the comments, too. After all, when
uploading files to the wiki, the idea is that we leave the old
versions there and just upload a new one. So, if needed, we can always
roll back or can consult the older edition.

Does this seem OK to you guys?

David Nelson

Yes it does. Thanks.

Ron