A question related to this issue: I started to add Old Hungarian
numbering to Writer
(https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/99950) and the UI will
contain Old Hungarian
numbers, see the attached screenshot, so I plan to update the
noto-fonts-20171024.tar.gz
tarball, adding also the fortunately small (45 kB)
NotoSansOldHungarian-Regular.otf to help to
fix the potential font issue [note: the screenshot contains another
problem: showing squares
at the place of 1-character non-Unicode BMP text spans].

There is a bug report for Linux Mint
(https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/9458),
also an older one for Debian
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=908817).
I am going to file a bug for my LibreOffice patch related to the
numbering, maybe for
Noto font update in LibreOffice. Do you suggest something similar for
Debian (Ubuntu) etc.,
or it is not necessary?

My LO packages do not include any fonts - except OpenSymbol of course.

So anything which you might use here should use something also in proper
noto packages.

At least a quick look
(https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=NotoSansOldHungarian-Regular.otf&mode=exactfilename&suite=unstable&arch=any)
suggests that this is not the case.