On Wednesday 22 of April 2020, Olivier Hallot wrote:
Hi Developers

Can charitable soul involved with threading in Calc spend a couple of
minutes to write an outline of what we should look to write a section on
the topic in our guide and Help? Just the outline and some pointers for
our investigation.

We think this feature is a plus, but it is not clear if and how an end
user will benefit.

 The "Enable multi-threaded calculation" checkbox is one of those settings
that aren't actually a preference, in an ideal world they should always be
enabled, and in fact shouldn't even exist as the thing should Just Work(TM).
We have others like that, 'Allow use of OpenCL', 'Use OpenGL/Skia for all
rendering', etc. So AFAICT the purpose of those settings is to admit that we
don't live in an ideal world and the setting allows people to disable the
feature in case it turns out it's buggy (which incidentally is relatively
more likely for all the settings I mentioned).

 So the way I see it the best thing the docs can say about it is something
along the lines of "this does roughly that, don't touch it unless you know
you want to touch it".

One of the issues we chose to ignore in the 6.2 Calc Guide was
multi-threading. The 6.2 Calc Guide contains the following mention of it,
when describing the Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > Calculate page:

CPU threading settings section
Enable multi-threaded calculation controls the use of multi-threading /
parallelism, which can be used to speed up LibreOffice Calc calculations on
computers with multiple processing cores.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak@collabora.com