TDF wiki now has a widget for embedding SVG animations rendered from terminal recordings: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Widget:Svganimation

Widgets can only be created and edited by administrators due to the obvious security issues arising from allowing the inclusion of freeform JavaScript and HTML. Similarly, SVGs with <script> elements are not allowed to be uploaded. Therefore, to be able to use the player controls for the animations, I created a Python script that moves the animation data into a comment in the SVG.

Terminal recordings are a nice way to show new contributors how to set something up. The fact that you can select and copy text from them is convenient. The recording and editing process is also probably simpler for many people compared to a video-based screen recorder.

Ilmari