On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 21:22 +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
You appear to wonder whether you should be able to point --with-jdk-home
to a 32-bit Java installation for a 64-bit LO build (on Linux).  No.  At
least some tests run during the LO build would want to load libjvm.so
from the specified --with-jdk-home (propagated via JAVA_HOME environment
variable and UNO_JAVA_JFW_ENV_JREHOME bootstrap variable) into a 64-bit
process, and fail.

By completely omitting --with-jdk-home from autogen.input, I get a
successful build.  configure complains that JAVA_HOME is not set, but
the build continues.

Thank you, Stephan.

I guess configure.ac doesn't check that a Java installation specified
via --with-jdk-home matches the bitness of the LO build.  If that's the
case, feel free to improve that if you see a need for it.

Oh my!

<aside>
  When I first came from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, lo those
  many years ago, I planned to carefully collect all the configuration
  and build problems I encountered, thinking that the compilation
  would be a useful contribution to the project.  I found no problems,
  and that is one of the big improvements in LibreOffice: the build
  system "just works".  A result, though, is that I have needed to
  learn essentially nothing about the build system.
</aside>