However, I don't see anything odd except that you use ICU 64.2 which we
so far build with, but unless they did something really stupid that
shouldn't cause this, or you have -DU_USING_ICU_NAMESPACE=3D1 somewhere in
your CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS settings.

... that is precisely the reason: in my install script I now see:

    ----8<----
    # 2018-06-18: 6.0.1.1: BLFS
    prepend_var CPPFLAGS "-DU_USING_ICU_NAMESPACE=1 "
    ---->8----

As you see, it's something dating 1 year ago, which I took from Beyond
Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view); I also
see that they don't use it currently (and from icu docs I seem to
understand that it shouldn't be needed any longer)
So, most probably, running without that define wouldn't show any
problem...

Apologies for the noise: I guess nobody is supposed to run with
that...

...and thank you very much for your time and patience

ciao
-g