The actual root cause here is that IFS() and SWITCH() are not compiled
into jumps so only the needed result would be calculated, but instead
all arguments are calculated beforehand as in usual function calls. We
had that discussion some while ago (and there exists some bug about it),
but I didn't get around to a different implementation. (right now I only
remember I had some idea for it to use existing means to compile an
IFS() call into some kind of nested or chained ocIf or ocChoose or some
such, would have to dig it out of my mail archive).

[...]
Not treating IFS() and SWITCH() as jumps of course code paths are
unnecessarily executed and has other unwanted side effects (like there
were cases where someone used STYLE() within but not the actual final
result), so the best fix would actually be to change that.

Yes, I remember. I tried but did not succeed. I may try again this time.

Winfried