On 22/10/2018 16:25, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
1) Someone's out in the woods home DSL line in the woods; fiber hasn't
    come to that village yet, or has come to the town but not that
    particular street. RTT time about 50ms; bandwidth about 20 Mbps
    down (or less), much less up.

This isn't a backwoods place - you're describing my internet (ADSL 2) which gives me 17Mb down, about 500Kb up, and I'm in London ... (FTTC isn't an option, and FTTP costs a bomb ...)

(That's assuming my local broadband connection hasn't fallen over - it regularly locks up of an evening and I can only guess that the local telephone exchange is overloaded. BT would love for me to pay for an upgrade but why should I when what I've got is plenty when it's working.)

Cheers,
Wol