sberg wrote
I'm not sure how useful this is, overall.  Apparently, Cppcheck is run
on .cxx files without knowledge of the specific -I, -D, etc. compiler
switches that our build system would pass to the compiler for a given
.cxx file.  That will always lead to issues (Cppcheck not finding an
including, or even finding the wrong include if there is include files
with identical names in different dirs?, or producing false positives
because it mis-guesses about some -D macro setting) unless we restrict
our build system to compile all files with the exact same set of
compiler switches---something I don't see us moving towards.

Actually, these are all good points. I hadn't even considered these yet, I
went straight into 'oh-goody-shell-scripting-time!' mode. Sorry for that ;-)

Having said that, I personally do think it might reduce the noise of the
cppcheck report if cppcheck could at least be told :

1.) In what directories the include files are located (Yes, if you have both
foo/foo.h and bar/foo.h this will cause issues, but might still be
preferable to what we have now).
2.) What are some likely defines, like for example: -DLINUX (Duh),
-D__LITTLE_ENDIAN__/-D__x86_64__ (characteristics of the test system
cppcheck is currently run on) -D__GNUC__ (expected, and not likely to cause
issues if set for code that does not have GNU C extensions), and
-UMACOSX/-UFREEBSD/-U_WIN32 (script currently does not run on MAC, FreeBSD,
or Windows).

Just my 2$.

- Maarten.

--