Am 14.12.2017 um 10:00 schrieb Samuel Mehrbrodt:
Gimp solves this problem by having the docking windows in native
windows, but then that native window can't be docked. Instead that
window contains tabs which then can be dragged and dropped in the
docking areas.

Interesting approach to handle non-modal dialog grouping in a unified
way. Would we want to do something like this, so we don't have duplicate
dialog + panel (like the navigator), or is this considered a feature,
that you can have multiple instances?

OTOH gimp doesn't have toolbars at all and all grouping windows provide
a combobox to switch between the images they refer to (normally switched
automatically by following the focus). And you can't dock anything to
the image window. The UI handling / experience is totally different.

And there is no way to have multiple instances of a dialog referring to
different images. At least if you select a dialog from the "dockable
dialogs" sub-menu in the "window" menu, it just switches to the existing
instance, highlighting it for a second, so the user can find it easier.

QDockWidget was also named as an example how to do things, I have yet to
look how that behaves, especially under Wayland.

There is a dockwidget example (on Ubuntu compiled in package
qtbase5-examples).

And then there is https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-64595
"Drag QDockWidgets between multiple QMainWindows".

2. We have 2 instances of (mostly) the same docking code in our
codebase:

- The "old" one in the DockingWindow class. This is used as the base of
the sfx2 docking code, and currently use system title bars.

- The "new" one in DockingManager. This is used for toolbars and
various toolbar popup controls, that use our own decorations.

I don't know how hard it would be, be it could be nice to kill this
copy-paste at some point...

I'm not sure there is much C'n'P here, as the approach is different.

There is also UNO API to create and move around docking windows, we
obviously don't want to lose that.

Didn't know that.

So if we already touch and unify this code, should we re-think use cases
and "usability pattern" (don't have a better name for it)? But probably
that should be a 2nd approach, after fixing the general docking window bug.

Jan-Marek