Hi all. I've raised this issue on the LO users list; they suggested transferring it here for better comment. So, I'm totally new here and to LO's source code and its quirks (as well as very out of date with my C++ skills!). Apologies if I transgress any mail-list rules.

There has been (even IIRC since the OOo days) a glitch when playing an embedded video clip into an Impress slide show. I believe the issue has been reported by various people over the years, with at best unsatisfactory work-arounds suggested.

Jumping straight in, when embedding a clip into a slide, a place-holder frame is picked. This appears to be done by a method grabFrame() defined in the file mediawindow.cxx. This file picks a frame as near as possible to 3 seconds into the clip -- a position that is compiled in. As far as the user is concerned, it's effectively a random frame.

Unfortunately, while that is adequate for a static placeholder at design time, the exact same frame is displayed during the 'start slide' transition before the video starts to play, and also left visible when the video finishes. This typically gives rise to a flash at the start if there's no slide transition or a wrong frame displaying if the slide transition is slow (the video only starts when the transition is complete).

There is, however the simple and obvious workaround of setting the time offset for that frame to zero. At the very least, a video will normally fade in from and out to the same frame (or can be contrived to do so).

I've tried this out on the current HEAD sources (6.something), with the expected effect on the start of the video - no inappropriate frame displayed, and the video starts smoothly.

However, for reasons unknown, I've found that the /true/ last frame remains displayed at the video end (I've been testing with a video each of whose frames contains just the frame number). (A bonus, but the reason really should be understood.)

A minor snag is that if a video starts with a black frame, that's what will be seen when the slide is being laid out.

Is it reasonable to suggest for now a single-character alteration to the source code? At line 37 in
libreoffice/avmedia/source/viewer/mediawindow.cxx

change
#define AVMEDIA_FRAMEGRABBER_DEFAULTFRAME_MEDIATIME 3.0
#define AVMEDIA_FRAMEGRABBER_DEFAULTFRAME_MEDIATIME 0.0

(I'm using linux Mint, but I don't believe the LO issue is OS-specific. The version I've edited locally shows as 6.0...alpha1+, but it looks as though this code has been unchanged for a long time.)

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England