On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Markus Mohrhard <
markus.mohrhard@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Michael Meeks <
michael.meeks@collabora.com> wrote:

Hi Markus,

On 18/09/17 16:26, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
    * Crash Reporter (Xisco)
        + http://crashreport.libreoffice.org/stats/?days=128
I already spent more than a day looking into that issue. It is not a
problem in LibreOffice or our tooling. Merged libraries generarted with
MSVC 2015 seem to store pdb info differently and DIA (the MS API that
breakpad uses to access pdb info) is not able to extract any useful
information. The uploaded symbol information don't contain anything
useful so that breakpad is not able to generate useful backtraces for
the merged library.

        Oh - interesting. So - did I understand right from the above that
the
problem is in the client-side up-load of the stack / symbol information ?

Yes. The problem is already during the collection of the symbol
information after the build as part of make symbols. [1] and [2] show two
mergedlo.dll symbol files that show that a significant part is already
missing. As a result there is no way to recover the stacktrace after a
crash happens.

        I'm curious what Mozilla are doing here since they default to
VS2015 -
and also have some "put everything in one big DLL" approach.

I have not looked at that. I checked if a newer breakpad version might
help but there was no solution. Additionally I had a test if the
incremental linking flag that we use would be the problem but that was also
not helping. The next step would be to debug the dump_syms executable from
breakpad and try to understand what is going wrong.

Regards,
Markus

[1] http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/tmp/msvc2013_mergedlo.zip
[2] http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/tmp/msvc2015_mergedlo.zip