The lambda user who makes use of macros written by a third party will have a real problem. When a library crashes because of a missing closing parenthesis while it still works, and that in addition, the library will be locked and nobody will remember the password ...

I think the only way out will be to orient the user to the "Do not check Basic syntax strictly" option (I agree with Jean-Pierre for a less cryptic term). But the option must remain accessible via the LO options interface and not via the IDE. The implementation of the option will have to be closely monitored to ensure its deprogramming (after all, it is a crutch) and it should be reserved for strict cases of transition to an interpreter StarBasic cleaner.

Pegards,

Pierre

   The default bahaviour of any Basic interpreter should be IMHO to
   check the syntax as strictly as possible.

   On the other side tons of legacy Basic sources will not compile
   anymore, - including the Basic libraries (Access2Base, ...)
   delivered with LO unless they're patched on time !

   I do support Pierre's proposal to have an option to (temporarily)
   *uncheck* the strict syntax checking,
   However
   - the option should be easily visible and accessible from the Basic
   IDE (f.i. not after having checked "enable experimental features"
   first ...)
   - the text of the option should be less cryptic then "StarBasic
   Pragma Strict", but preferably something like "Do not check Basic
   syntax strictly"
   - Release Notes and help pages should inform the users in detail
   - the option should remain during a long enough period of time

   JP