OK, so I’ve tracked back the commit where this was introduced…

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/sal/osl/unx/file.cxx?id=cbedb240486a21c5d5676e7a7f4e2ba17a55dbab

<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/sal/osl/unx/file.cxx?id=cbedb240486a21c5d5676e7a7f4e2ba17a55dbab>

It appears that it might have been in a previous VCS (cvs?) and migrated to subversion. The
provenance of the commit is unknown, but I think someone was being very conservative, or didn’t
realise this has been available for a long time on BSD.

Chris