What would be the usefulness of such information? We don't want to let what
machine and OS users run at some (future) point in time dictate what we do
in even more future LibreOffice versions.

Like, if we would put such code into 5.4, and in Spring 2018 it would say
that 5% of users, let's say a million, still run Windows XP or have CPUs
without SSE2, would that then mean that those users would effectively hold
us ransom to keeping support for XP and lack of SSE2 forever? I don't think
we want that. This is a developer-driven project and we don't like to keep
historical baggage forever.

Commercial suppliers of LibreOffice support are another thing, of course.
If a paying customer insists on XP support (or some other silly thing), the
company does that.

Just my opinion, of course.

---tml