Hi Bjoern,

On 08/12/16 18:40, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
     * download 'something'
    (actually, Visual Studio can directly clone git repos, so
     manual downloads shouldnt be needed)

        Sure - question is if we want to check all the un-buildable binaries
into a git repository; but we can do of course if it saves having a
shell to download things.

     * click the green triangle to debug ;-)

    Certainly works for kdevelop and used to work for MSVS.

        Great - so we're nearly there.

     Where of course that 'something' would need to be constructed by some
tinderbox / slave, and (ideally) contain everything not easily buildable
with the IDE already pre-built =)

Ok, who is going to finally kill scp2, the horribly icon-theme scriping, UNO
registry generation plumbing etc. for good? (With kill=port to plain C++ tooling).

        For me at least, none of that is relevant. We can pre-generate all of
that and include it pre-built inside the 'something' that is downloaded.

     Personally I'd see this as an entry mode: once people have the
satisfaction of seeing their work 'working' they can graduate to
installing cygwin, and <insert other pain points>. Clearly there would
be nothing authoritative about it etc.

That would assume to use a pregenerated autoconf output then (as autoconf need
essentially all of POSIX and then some). Possibly -- but not without its own
pain points (ask any Sun engineer, this is was how StarOffice builds were like).

        Sure there are pain-points; and it is a rather artificial setup that is
proposed - a newbie / starting developer setup. Having said that - you
can get a -very- long way with just editing C++ files in a tree with
pre-build python, ICU, etc. etc.

     AFAICS - there -should- also be no need for cygwin, LODE, or anything
else in this world ;-) just a single download.

Well, we sneakily use various bits of sed/gawk/gperf/perl/python/zip/tar/... in
various corners of the build.

        Sure - and this then becomes an incremental task ;-) -iff- doing this
generates interest from lots of new developers, which it might, then I
suspect we get a set of manpower with motivation to make more and more
of the code easily accessible on Windows ;-)

        ATB,

                Michael.

--
michael.meeks@collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot