On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Hung Mark <marklh9@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to share my experience since I didn't see this on Developer's
wiki.
When I was trying to build LibreOffice in Windows,  autogen.sh was not
able to finish its job, with message below:

checking cl.exe... found Visual C++ 2013  (E:/Program Files
(x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0/VC/bin/cl.exe)
cygpath: cannot create short name of 12.0\VC\Include
realpath: '12.0/VC': No such file or directory
configure: WARNING: realpath failed for "12.0/VC", not necessarily a
problem.
checking the dependency generation prefix (cl.exe -showIncludes)...
configure: error: cannot determine the -showIncludes prefix
Error running configure at ./autogen.sh line 269.

Apparently path for Visual Studio broke into parts out of expectation.
After investigation I found that cygpath -d doesn't convert it into 8.3
file name format as it's manual describe. It still generates long file
name.

The solution is simple, the partition has to enable 8.3
format support *BEFORE* you install Visual Studio, with following command:

fsutil 8dot3name set e: 0

0.represents active. Change the drive letter e to whatever you use.

Just adding in case someone finds it helpful. I tried it today on
Windows10. I had my MSVC installation in c:, so fsutil did not work until I
rebooted it in safe-mode. I first enabled the 8.3 format as

fsutil 8dot3name set c: 0

followed by setting shortnames for directory names that LO require because
on my Win10 installation there were no shortnames already set. In my case I
did (after cd-ing into respective dirs) :

fsutil file setshortname "Program Files (x86)" PROG~1
fsutil file setshortname "Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0" msvc~140
fsutil file setshortname "Window Kits" W~Kits

and then rebooted into normal mode. This solved the problem for me.

I use Windows8 to build LibreOffice ( A surface3 tablet ). I had built
successfully on Windows7 VM without tuning mentioned above. Both Visual
Studio and LO source code are installed in a VHD disk image on a microSDHC.
I  guess that one of them makes the difference.

--
Mark Hung