On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 03:48:01PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
So: if anybody wants to upgrade our embedded HSQLDB, or embed H2 or
..., FEEL FREE, INDEPENDENTLY OF THIS DISCUSSION. I will take
patches.

Note though, that LibreOffice has a reputation and claim that it can pretty
much open ~anything. So even _iff_ we would start embedding DB-Engines in odbs,
there would still be lots of HSQLDB odbs in the wild, that do not have anything
embedded -- and users likely will expect us to be able to open those for a looong
time, even after we gave them much warning ahead of time.

I see none of the proposals so far (even _iff_ we had the manpower) helping us
to get rid of HSSQLDB. Without ever having had a look at the details: to really
get rid of HSSQLDB (Java) likely requires implementing a HSQLDB file reader
(not a full DB engine) in C++, which we can use to import iold data to whatever
fancy new engine someone comes up with.

Best,

Bjoern