On 18/12/2015 09:29, Armin Le Grand wrote:
Despite the quality being quite different, even when this would be fixed, there will alwyas be slight differences. How do you explain a user that the quality of the SVG he wants to use depends on the way he uses it? Does anyone expect users to know the difference between opening and inserting an SVG? How much do users like answers as 'yes, but you added it in the 'wrong' way...'? There should be no wrong way. You should not need expertise know-how to be able to use SVG in the best possible quality.

I would have thought the difference between "open" and "insert" was pretty clear (yes, I know there are plenty of clueless lusers out there). But it applies to pretty much ALL objects - if you "insert" then LO keeps the object unaltered, if you "open" then LO converts the object to a form that it can edit.

This is the way I understood MS originally intended inserting to work - okay they didn't bother implementing it properly... but that is the way LO should work across the board. Think of putting spreadsheet data into a Word document - do you embed/insert an Excel spreadsheet, or cut-n-paste into a Word table?

I don't know to what extent it's been fixed, but I think a lot of user confusion is down to various Office apps being inconsistent in how they behave - LO is (or was) a big offender imho, but then MS Office was likely worse ...

Cheers,
Wol