Hi.

Yes this is ongoing work.

I am here to help new people getting their first patch successfully
implemented, so feel free to mail me directly if you have questions.

The first thing you need to do is to get build on your machine:
for linux (and similar) environments:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux
for windows:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/lode

if you mail me a bit about your setup, and your experience I can guide you
(of course only if you like to).

you might also want to look at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks
these are problems, experienced developers have looked at, and are a good
start for a first patch.

Looking forward to hear from you.
rgds
jan i.