What mechanisms does ODF have to indicate that a sequence of word
characters constitutes a word?

Having such a mechanism is useful for spell-checking Thai and other
languages where the boundaries between words are not marked.  At
present, one can cancel spurious boundaries by inserting U+2060 WORD
JOINER.  Words formed thus can be entered in personal spelling
dictionaries.  This is the only mechanism I am aware of.  However, it is
currently intended (announcement to private Unicore list only) to
modify the Unicode Standard for Version 8.00 this month to state that
U+2060 should not have have any effect on determining word boundaries;
its function will merely be to suppress line breaks.

I view this as a kick in the teeth of users of languages such as Thai,
but so far I am the only one to have responded.  The only work around
I can see is to add a word joining character (e.g U+2065) to Unicode
and hope that LibreOffice supports U+2060 as a word-joining character
until the new character becomes available.

Richard.