On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Robinson Tryon
<bishop.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
Per the docs:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnLinux#--with-parallelism

"--with-parallelism already defaults to the the number of cores/cpus
on your system, unless you use --enable-icecream - then to 10."

I tried configuring a VM with 12 cores, and then used ./autogen.sh
--with-parallelism

the 'default' means not specifying it on the autogen.sh at _all_
(although in this case that is the same)

The 'default' works as indicated.
you can check the value in config_host_mk

The relevant code in configure.ac is:

if test -n "$with_parallelism" -a "$with_parallelism" != "yes"; then
    if test "$with_parallelism" = "no"; then
        PARALLELISM=0
    else
        PARALLELISM=$with_parallelism
    fi
else
    if test "$enable_icecream" = "yes"; then
        PARALLELISM="10"
    else
        case `uname -s` in

        Darwin|FreeBSD|NetBSD|OpenBSD)
            PARALLELISM=`sysctl -n hw.ncpu`
            ;;

        Linux)
            PARALLELISM=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`
        ;;
        # what else than above does profit here *and* has /proc?
        *)
            PARALLELISM=`grep $'^processor\t*:' /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`
            ;;
        esac

        # If we hit the catch-all case, but /proc/cpuinfo doesn't
exist or has an
        # unexpected format, 'wc -l' will have returned 0 (and we
won't use -j at all).
    fi
fi

so check your  uname -s and getconf _NPROCESSOR_ONLN  or/and /proc/cpuinfo

Norbert