I understand that this PYTHON is used only during the build. I added it
because I had a failed build with something related to Python (couldn't
find some library) in the past. The Python there is the official release
from www.python.org, by the way, the same one that LO uses internally.

That might be so, but I don't think we want to expand the configuration
space when building LO on OS X (or Windows, for that matter) by allowing
the possibility to use a self-installed Python. The more ways to build LO,
the higher chance some combination will not work.

There is one *official* Python on OS X: the 2.7.6 one that comes with the
OS. And then there is the one we build and bundle in LO. Allowing also a
3rd-party one to be used (even if only at build time) (even if it is one
from the Python people themselves) is just asking for trouble.

BTW, personally I would not mind at all if we would bundle a *binary*
python.org build of Python in LO on OS X (and Windows), assuming it is
technically possible. (Does python.org provide binaries of Python built as
a framework for OS X, which is the way we build it, for instance?) But I
assume that then the people who insist that everything shipped in LO should
be built from sources would get very upset.

--tml