On 31/03/15 11:38, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

    Other than that - if it really comes to not using any word-processing
    features at all, just type in your notepad equivalent and copy'n'paste
    to LO after you're done typing.

Very good advice. We should resist feature creep. If somebody suggests
"why not add a touch typist mode to LO where you can only enter text and
nothing ever pops up and no shortcuts or accelerators are active", the
answer should be no. We already have too many modes. (Of course, my
opinion is different if somebody pays me to work on such a feature.)

Point taken. But I'm an old WordPerfect hand, as you might remember ... :-)

The advice with Word was always "type the text first, go back and format
later". Very much the opposite with WordPerfect - "type the text, with
formatting hints, and let WP take care of it". So you would use
<bold-on>, <bold-off>, etc as you typed. So I *do* want to take
advantage of word processor features, I just want a "do what I say, and
don't assume ..." mode. :-) And if I type <ctrl-p> by mistake then I get
a dialog - I asked for it, I get it - maybe I just have too many bad
memories of Clippy ... :-)

I could bash in a WordPerfect document, confident that it would print
pretty much as I wanted, and then just need to clean it up. It sounds
like LO has gone a fair way down that route :-)

(btw, Christian, I remember tearing my hair out over autocorrect - there
was (hopefully it's gone now) an autocorrupt feature that was not
controlled from Format|Autocorrect. Possibly in calc, probably in
Writer/Tables. It was an absolute devil to track down and disable - it
made it impossible for me to format the document correctly. Can't
remember the details now, it was a while ago, it'll be in the archives
somewhere.)

Cheers,
Wol