Hi and welcome,

when i did sent my first patch it took about 8 months for me because,  I
didn't ask.  But the problem was relatively easy.

So good thing you are asking about it.

Send the bug link and tell what part you didn't understand. Someone will
answer when they are available. Also join IRC channel,  it will be faster
for asking questions.

Have a lot of fun :)