On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:15 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman@redhat.com> wrote:
On 01/15/2015 10:47 PM, Ashod Nakashian wrote:

It probably is, but with some caveats. My main concern would be
unnecessary code pollution. It's true that these warnings could be
really useful. They might hint at actual issues in some cases (for
example an unhandled error in the unused-result case).
But suppressing them can also muddle the code. I rather 'fix' the cases
that might hide real issues rather than suppress/silence noise just for
its own sake.

Our OOo/LO history has shown us that compiler warnings are only helpful for
development if they break the build.  Unfortunately, that means that you
occasionally need to find a way to work around a false warning unhelpfully
emitted by some compiler.

Indeed. This is why having a convenient configure flag for when it's
useful might be a good idea. Otherwise, it's just pure noise (or
worse).

I concur and it is not just LO... with warnings, only a 0-policy makes sens.
Either we care about them or we do not at all, but selectively caring
inevitably lead to the forest that hide the tree.

Norbert, who recall -- without any nostalgia - the 1000's of warning
that used to litter the code few years back...

With -Werror this won't be the case. Your pain is shared by me at least.
However, if -Og helps someone (with a lot of time and patience) to
improve some code, patches sure are welcome.