Thank you, Maarten.

I tried to upload the callgrind data, but the email was rejected due to
its size.  Glad you can reproduce the slowness!

Now the question is: what's to cause of the socket slowness, compared to
the pipe performance?  Based on yesterday's findings, this might not be
a LO issue afterall.  Connecting to LO through a pipe gives me the same
performance (and faster) that I have on my Mac.  It's the socket connect
which is so slow.  See here for more data:

  https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74332&p=336914#p336975

The question lingers: why is socket connect on Linux so tremendously
slower than on the Mac...

  http://superuser.com/questions/860321/linux-localhost-sockets-painfully-slower-than-on-mac

Jens