On 12/15/2014 03:48 PM, Justin Luth wrote:
-comparing before/after XML snapshots is not easy because XML keys can
move around a lot.   xmldiff can't handle big files.  (It was tedious
trying to isolate the settings I needed.)

IIRC, at least the order of items in registrymodifications.xcu should happen to be stable.

3.)  Packaging the extension
-it is a black box that only works if you have everything right.

That is what I was aiming at with "An alternative would be to make it easier for the target audience to achieve their goals with extensions. That could include better documentation and examples."

If you already have an admin.xcu file you want to deploy (potentially even using the <items> scheme; see my other mail regarding the status of that (non-)feature), all it minimally takes is to add two files

  share/extensions/ADMIN/admin.xcu
  share/extensions/ADMIN/META-INF/manifest.xml

where the latter contains

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest:manifest>
  <manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="admin.xcu"
manifest:media-type="application/vnd.sun.star.configuration-data"/>
</manifest:manifest>

to the LO installation.

-nothing is "cut and paste".  The root node is different in all three
XML files - system, extension, and user  (at least it is different in
our extension).  That's confusing and dis-orienting.

Sorry, I do not understand what you are talking about here.